Thursday, December 23, 2010

The End and Some Fun

This is my last official project for schooling. I made it to go with the dragon wing necklace. This was a casting.



I then had some fun playing around. With the holiday coming up things have been very casual at school, more so than usual. So, I actually had these pieces as waxes sitting on my desk for over a month before I finally cast them about two weeks ago. A little background to explain. When you have molds for making multiples of a design, you need a machine called the wax injector. Ours looks a little different, but you get the idea. Anyway, because of the pressure of the wax shooting out, it tends to overflow and drip. I went through the drippings and found two that I thought would look fun cast.
I called this one Davey Jones.
The wax dripping conveniently had a hole that I could put a jump ring through.

I chose this one 1. because it looks awesome, and 2. where the sapphire is, there was a perfect spot to set a stone. I didn't have to do anything, it just worked with the wax. And we're pretty sure it's a real sapphire. See, the desk I moved to when I started module 3- the guy who sat there before used real stones and dropped crap all the time and wouldn't bother to really search too hard if the stone wasn't uber-expensive. So, anything I found under his desk was up for grabs.  I also like how it looks like the metal is melting over the sapphire.
This is the same design from the mezuza, only a lot smaller. It might be an inch long, maybe a little bit larger. I'm going to pierce out the design again in this size and in a couple of other sizes in thicker metal. Making molds out of them would be a really good idea so I could mass produce this design.

This is another piece of lapis that I cut myself from the giant chunk I bought months ago. Decided to finally do something with it. Yesterday just fairly quickly pumped this one out- pierced out the design, soldered on the bezel wire (which came like that. I did not file out the rippled edge). Decided to make an interesting bale rather than a plain simple one.

No comments:

Post a Comment