Monday, September 21, 2009

Burned Forever Into My Brain

(This one is seriously depressing, but short)

"Hey Ima, how's it going?"
"Oh, everything's fine. How was your day? How's your toe?"
"It's fine. I'm really tired though from coming into the city with dad this morning."

In the background, June, my grandmother's aide calls out to my mother.

"June, can it wait a few minutes, I'm on the phone with Margo."

I can't really hear her response, but my mother tells me,
"Margo, June says something is wrong with grandma. Can you hang on a second?"

And she carries the phone with her into my grandmother's bedroom, still with the set to her ear.
"Grandma's not breathing. I don't feel a pulse. Margo, I think grandma just died."
"What are you going to do, you have to call 911 don't you?"
"Honey, I'm gonna go now. I have to call an ambulence and your father. We'll talk to you soon."
"Okay, talk to you later."

No comments:

Post a Comment