Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 6, 7, & 8

Friday we drove from Omaha to Chicago. Ended up eating dinner and crashing at my cousin's place, hospitality was much appreciated :)
Saturday, had some Chicago pizza. Did not try the deep dish (I know, I know, it's the whole point of Chicago style pizza) but had their thin crust, which was still pretty damn thick. What was really delicious was the french bread with 3 kinds of melted cheeses on it with marinara dipping sauce. Om nom nom. I think I filled up on that more than anything and that's why had so little of my pizza. Anywho, we headed out to Cleveland, OH. Nothing much special other than our Mexican food dinner was also quite awesome.
And then, Sunday came. Driving through Pennsylvania, I forgot how goddamn GREEN everything is. I do really miss it. Kind of makes me feel like I want to don a pair of fairy wings and go prancing/frolicking in the woods causing mischief. They may not be the Sierras, but the Appalachians are still pretty awesome. It's a different kind of mountain range, more rolling and fluffy (weird description I know, but I hope you'll get what I mean with the pictures).
And I also forgot how much nothing there is in Penn. Mostly woods, the occasional farm, some horses and cows. There is also this huge SCA (medieval camping, remember?) event that happens there, and is actually going on right now, and I kept hoping maybe I would see signs for it or something, but I didn't. Boo.
Ok, here are the pictures:

 Just outside downtown Omaha. This dude who worked at the B&B in Boulder said he'd driven to Omaha a few times and told us about the painted silos, in his own words "I guess they had nothing else better to do?"
 What Cheer? Who's Cheer? Why Cheer? and so on
 So yeh, this is new- offering wireless internet at a rest stop. Color me surprised.
 Something was on fire.
 ...
That's really all I can think of in reaction to that name.
 So, actually kind of awesome. I think there were about 10 parachuters (2 had landed and 8 were still in the air)

 Dude, nowhere is normal. No. Where.
 Do you see what I mean by rolling and fluffy?


 What with the trees all growing to nearly the same height, I realize it's probably for power lines or something, but it really looks like someone took clippers and accidentally used the wrong length setting and shaved a strip right down the center.

 Pardon the streaked bug guts on the shield
I thought it was kind of a cool bridge.
And so wraps up my trip back to the east coast. Will post more pictures on facebook. Eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment